Friday, October 19, 2007

About the French #3

Can someone please tell me what "Wall Street English" is?! In the metro you always see these advertisements for this English language school boasting that they can teach you how to speak "Wall Street English".
The message goes: "Do you speak English?", "Yes! I speak Wall Street English!" and has a picture of a woman grinning and flashing the thumbs up... it cracks me up every time I see it. I passed the actual school on the way to work the other day...

2 comments:

Thembi Ford said...

Its actually a very shady company that has centers worldwide but somehow manages to pay its teachers less than the minimum and makes them work a certain number of hours a week or they're fired. I got a few interviews into their process before I found out how shady they are! Not to mention how ridiculous the name is...

Anonymous said...

Some things never change. "Wall Street English" Ha!!
I lived five years in Paris, loved it and can remember this funny ad as if it were yesterday. I now live in Seoul, South Korea and absolutely love it! I've read a couple of your other entries and I must say, I do not envy you when it comes to apt. hunting. Luckily I had a two great apts while I lived there. My first one was in the Bastille! No rent, just had to help a little girl with her English and walk her to and from schoo. This was in 98'. The other one was in the 15th where a friend of mine owns three apts. and rented me a cute studio across the street from a little park.
Anyhoo, have you heard of FUSAC? That's how I found my first apt. Also check out www.nyhabitat.com . When my friends and I re-visit Paris we rent apts. or studios instead of staying in a hotel. You can find apts. to rent as well as roomates. Beautiful apts.! Good luck!

Felicia
www.nearandfar.wordpress.com