Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Cell Phone was Stolen!

I was sitting outside at a doner kebab restaurant in Les Halles today, a touristy shopping area in Paris (like Soho), waiting for a friend to meet me. We were on our way to a music/political festival in the suburbs north of Paris so I put my phone out on the table, to the right of my plate, so I wouldn’t miss her call. I’m minding my business, eating my meal and a guy comes over, taps me on my left shoulder and asks in French “can I talk with you?” I just said “I don’t speak French” and turned away. It lasted less than 3 seconds, but his accomplice had already stolen my phone and run off! I didn’t even know it had happened until I looked down a couple minutes later and realized my cell was gone! lol, thankfully it was a cheap pre-paid phone with about 2 minutes left on it.

The thing is, Paris isn’t a violent city (you’re very unlikely to get shot here), but it has some of the most ridiculous incidents of theft anywhere. I’ve heard stories about people walking down the street talking on their cell and having their phone snatched from their hands. Or women having their purses stolen while sitting at a traffic light… literally their purse is on the passenger seat and a person on a scooter will drive up, break the window, snatch the purse and speed off. Its insane! I don’t think thieves are that bold in New York.

Oh well… welcome to Paris!!

1 comment:

p said...

Stacy!
I love that you've started a blog!! I'll read it everyday so that I can live vicariously through you and your fabulous Parisian life.
I miss you!

Tai