Thursday, September 27, 2007

UNESCO Party


Went to a Nigerian party at UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) the other day. My friend Temi has a friend who works for the UN and she scored me an invite. Basically it was a big event held in the auditorium of the UNESCO headquarters in Paris with live music by a popular “Iroko” group in Nigeria (like African samba) plus singing and dancing followed by a huge buffet. The audience was full of lots of African dignitaries (from France, Nigeria and all over the world) who came to take part in this tribute to Nigerian culture. It was also a call to maintain and develop harmony and equality between the races so there were a few speeches about world peace and international unity.

The coolest part was that the singers would go out into the audience and bring people up to the stage to dance with them… so you’d see these regal African women in their cultural garb breaking it down with middle aged white men in European suits. It’s funny, having grown up with a lot of Africans, it kinda just felt like home. Ultimately it was just this big 2 hour party, everyone was having a blast (except for the mad dash for the free food at the end... why people always gotta be ghetto?). Although I was deathly terrified that they would grab me next… thankfully I had just switched out of my aisle seat and they took my friend up there instead :o)

One guy I met at the party is a huge Chelsea supporter so we’ve started a nice little rivalry. He lives next door to an English pub so we’ll be giving each other sh*t this season and watching matches together when we can. Which of course means we’ll get to be great friends. Aww, makes me miss my United friends…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!!
that would have been funny if they picked you to dance, wish I was there...