Sunday, August 16, 2009

The ex, continued...

The final part of The Ex saga, read Part 1 here.

I get back to my apt and my mind is running wild with ideas about where he is and what he’s doing. So naturally, I decide to spend the next HOUR calling his house (his cell had been out of commission for a few days) getting angrier and angrier as the minutes tick by (Lord only knows what possessed me to do this—after the 3rd or 4th call you would think a girl would give up and go to sleep). Finally, at 3am, he picks up—tentatively, surprised to be getting a call at such a late hour. And do you know I let the poor boy have it? Thoroughly cursed his ass out. Where were you?! I was knocking on your door at 2am and you weren’t home!! Were you with HER?! On and on in that vein, things that make me cringe to remember so I won’t repeat here. Sigh. The funny thing is, I’m normally very nice and calm. To the point where my friends get surprised when they hear me say a curse word. But when I get mad (which is so rare people often ask if I ever get upset about anything), it’s not pretty.

Anyway, I’m going off for a solid 3 minutes while poor B just tries to get a word in edgewise. Finally he breaks in and says, “Wait a minute! I don’t HAVE to tell you where I’ve been. I don’t owe you anything”. And that simple (and very true) statement stopped me in my tracks… Oh. Right. He’s not my boyfriend. Why am I so upset?

And then he quietly says, “Stacy, what are you doing to me? YOU left ME. What do you want from me? You know I’m in love with you and if you just said the word I would leave this girl and be with you right now.” To be honest, hearing him say that he still loves me and knowing that this “other woman” has not replaced me was a little comforting. On the flip side, I felt guilty for being so selfish b/c I do want him to be happy. But what happens when he does meet “the one”. His next great love? The woman he’s going to marry? How will I feel then?

I had to stop and ask myself what I really want here. It hurts me to know he’s with someone else so maybe that means we should get back together. But is that just jealousy talking or genuine feelings? Last week B’s friend was driving me home and asked about B and I. And then he warned me, “I had to be around him all those months after you left. He was in really bad shape”. And I know I absolutely cannot do that to him a second time. So we spoke, finally had that heartbreaking heart-to-heart. And in the end, we acknowledged the fact that I am here for just a short time and there’s no point in starting something up again that I have no intention of seeing through. It just isn’t fair to either one of us.

I don’t know why I thought we could keep the friendship part without any fear that the romantic part would rear its little head. Is it true that lovers can’t be friends? Or maybe it was just too soon for B and I—maybe we didn’t give each other enough time to forget before we started speaking again. The thing is, while the thought of no longer speaking to him makes my heart drop, I don’t think we should be together. I’m at a point in my life where I’m ready to meet “the one” (ironically, because of B and all that I learned after being in our relationship with all its amazing ups and downs). And while I could blissfully enjoy much more time with B, the thought of getting married and having babies is very real for me and you don’t get there by devoting years of your life to a man you don’t see a future with.

The problem remains that I love him. Simply and completely and I believe that I will love him for the rest of my life. But I don’t think I’m IN love with him any longer. I don’t know what any of that means, if it’s a normal process and these feelings will also pass in time. Or if its a lifelong scar we're meant to carry with us when an epic romance ends... the whole business is confusing. In any case, B left for a 3-week vacation (Spain, Italy, Hungry and Germany) so it gives me a bit of time to clear my head about the whole matter. It’s been nearly 2 weeks and I've missed him since he’s been away. Maybe its innocent, like you would miss any friend you see often; maybe it’s more than that. I honestly don’t know.

One thing I do know is that a big mistake people make in love is that they forget that you have to use your head too, not just your heart. And my head is telling me to move on—however painful, there is someone out there who will make it easy for me to walk away from B. But how do you ever forget the one who took your heart first?

13 comments:

Prosechild said...

Ok I'm sure you said somewhere... but WHY do you guys have to walk away? Because you're not planning to stay in France forever? Or is it that you love B but aren't as compatible as you'd like?

I'm not one to believe in the concept of a soulmate.. so thats where my confusion comes from. I'm like "there's so much there, why is Stacy walking away...." To me its more simple... you love him, he loves you, voila! But I guess its not as simple as I make it out to be...

Gigi said...

I have a few questions, Stacy, that I'm praying you will answer.

1. My first question is, why does your current stay in Paris have to be a temporary one? If the two of you are important enough to each other - which it seems is the case - then who says your current stay has to be temporary?

2. When a couple is together, the euphoria and "in love" stage eventually ends and the important (and rare) thing is that you have built a relationship based on friendship and mutual respect for each other...that's what carries you on until the end. Believe me, couples do NOT stay "in love" forever, and those who claim to are most likely watching way too many Hollywood romance films.

Do you and B love each other dearly? Clearly the two of you do...you both have managed to build a strong, solid friendship even after the breakup, which says a lot about the two of you. It says you both have something more than just euphoria and passion to carry you through. Is that something meaningful to you both? If so, it might be something you wish to explore further, together.

I read your blog and it reminds me of many of my own experiences. If someone could have said these things to me, I definitely would have done things differently in my life.

Live your life to the fullest. To hell with the age difference...he seems mature and dependable (clearly), which is more than I can say for men 10 years his senior. (And you wouldn't be the first or the last woman in Paris to be with a man who is younger, BELIEVE it.) To hell with distance; if you both love, admire, and respect each other (which clearly you both do), then risks can be taken. That's what life is all about. Be unafraid and don't overthink it. Be unafraid to take that chance.

Honey, love and sincere friendship are hard to find in this world. You're from NY, too, so you know. When you finally find it, especially one based on FRIENDSHIP, never let it go. NEVER. Hold on to it with all your might. I agree with your mom wholeheartedly. Take a chance, Stacy. These opportunities are few in our lifetime...

And love is so worth it.

Anonymous said...

If you're meant to be then the universe will eventually bring you together again.
But..if you're not, then do not be sad.Life has a way of moving people in and out of our lives,a chapter has ended and an undoubtedly wonderful on will begin.Don't feel sad for what has passed,feel excited about what is yet to come.


Peace.

Ren. xo

Gigi said...

And by the way...please don't buy in to that "universe" mess. PLEASE. If we want something in life, we have to do what's necessary to help make it happen.

Don't sit back and wait for the universe to give you a damn thing. Go out there and take it, diva.

Okay...supressing my inner big sister. :0)

Stacy said...

Thanks for your comments guys!

Prosechild - yeah its a bit complicated but the short of it is that sadly I just don't believe love is enough.

Gigi - I don't plan on being in Paris forever... in terms of making a life here, it just doesn't seem viable for me at this point (esp with the job thing). I do worry about making a mistake with this one but for some reason my gut tells me its the right decision. I only pray that I don't wake up 5 years from now thinking "OMG what was I thinking?!"

Ren - thanks, I think at this point the signs are pointing to no. I don't know why but I can only go with that unless something tells me differently. But I am totally grateful for what we had (have?)

Clouds said...

i've never forgotten the my first real love, the one i call the bear, and it took me years to get over him, but i knew when we split up that it would be for the best.

as it turns out, i am now getting married to the love of my life, and am happier than i have ever been.

so it worked out alright for me in the end. hope it does for you too. :)

Aritul said...

So bittersweet. Perhaps it's silly of me to hope that things work out between you two, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

PS: I agree with you that love is not enough, but hopefully in your case there is more than just love.

Anonymous said...

I know that I don't know you but from what I'm reading, I think you're making a mistake. People often think they get several chances at love and that there's a better situation around the corner. That's not always the case. Please don't do something you may regret. Wishing you the best.

Stacy said...

Thanks for all your kind words everyone!
Although the responses just make me more confused than ever! :)

Aritul said...

Stacy, I don't know you, but I'm going to have to agree with Anonymous. I reread some of your earlier posts and it seems like you and B had a good thing going. I don't know your reasons for calling it off, but if what you wrote is true (the stuff about his feelings for you and your feelings for him), then what is the harm in seeing where things go?

PS: Your old posts warmed my little cold heart. = )

Viajera said...

Hm... Reading this post, some major things stuck out (forgive me for the rehash):

"YOU left ME...You know I’m in love with you and if you just said the word I would leave this girl and be with you right now.” - Perfect opening for you to re-enter B's life.

"I felt guilty for being so selfish" - Sour grapes got stuck in one's throat, eh? (He IS a hot Frenchie, so perfectly understandable.)

"There’s no point in starting something up again that I have no intention of seeing through" - THE TRUTH

"I don’t think we should be together." - THE TRUTH

"I’m at a point in my life where I’m ready to meet “the one”." - You are hurt by the death of the relationship, but not demolished by it.

"...You don’t get there by devoting years of your life to a man you don’t see a future with." - THE TRUTH

I have to say that I KNOW that YOU know EXACTLY why the relationship was/is doomed, either in the short-term or forever. (Sometimes blogs don't tell the whole story, right?)

Either way, it seems to me that until something compelling changes your mind about that, this relationship is exactly the way you want it: OVER. (Not like I'm saying anything you know already.)

Now, like you said, get out there and date some more hot Frenchies! ;)

Stacy said...

Aritul- thanks for stopping by. I know it doesn't seem to really make sense (to myself sometimes too) but I can only hope I'm making the right decisions for the right reasons. Only time will tell!

Viajera- thank you for laying it out! You're pretty on point with your observations. And once August is over and the locals are back I am totally stepping up my flirting game ;)

Rhona said...

Your reaction was a total human one. It is good though that you choose not to go back on your convictions and reopen the relationship. That is very strong of you.