Saturday, August 8, 2009

Je suis arrive

It’s a trip being back in Paris the second time around. It’s August so the city is relatively quiet, aside from the tourists traipsing around the Louvre. I’m living near Gare du Nord (a sketchy but central part of town) in an amazing 4-bedroom apartment with 3 guys. It was my girlfriend AC’s place until she moved in with her boyfriend. She needed someone to take over her room for a month until her lease ran out and thankfully the timing worked in my favor. I’ve got the room until Sept 5th when AC’s friend comes back from holiday in Cambodia and moves into the apt. My roomies are cool—I’ve met 2 of the 3 guys so far. One is away on vacation. One left for 2 weeks in Israel and Greece a couple days after I arrived. But the third guy is absolutely adorable. I can’t tell if he’s gay or straight (European men, figures) but the first thing he said to me was that he was really excited that I moved in because he loved Americans and was looking forward to practicing his English. So he’s been sticking his head in my room for a little chat every night and sending me cute text messages during the day in his broken English.

(the building foyer)

The apartment is quintessentially French—a 19th century Haussmann building with lots of dark creaky wood, tall ceilings, massive windows and huge heavy doors. A big change from the tiny chambre de bonne (which I adored) I lived in last year. Granted, I haven’t had a roommate since college (let alone a group of messy boys) so its been a bit of an adjustment but I always did enjoy being out of my element.

And how am I feeling about being back? It’s hard to describe exactly. On one hand I can’t say that Paris is my “forever home”, though I deeply love this city. But being here in this place, in this moment, I feel at peace. I sleep in. Go for walks. Meet friends for a glass of wine in the afternoon that stretches into the evening. Read books along the Seine. Host dinner parties in my apartment. Sit in cafes with free wifi and surf the internet. Window shop. Go to free concerts and movies in the park. Make new friends... I’m simply living. And I don’t feel that cloud of guilt and shame that hangs over your head in a city like New York. After a few weeks of being jobless, I was just plain sick and tired of people asking, “So when are you going back to work? What are you going to do with your life? Have you lost your mind?”

Honestly? Is it so unusual that after 8 years of climbing the corporate ladder I’ve decided to chuck Plan A and try something new? When I tell people in France that I quit my job and am spending the next couple months hanging out in Europe while I figure out what I want to do, they just nod and carry on, like it’s the most normal thing in the world. There is no judgment, only the understanding that your 20s are a time for learning and exploration. Sometimes the path is straight (where's the fun in that?); other times its not and it leads you to places you would never have imagined. The French seem to understand and for that I am grateful.

Recently I came upon a quote by Rilke that I found appropriate:

“Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day.”

For now, I’m just going to enjoy living the question.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How happy am I to see an update from you! I've been wondering how things panned out for you and I'm happy to see that you're taking the time to enjoy life and travel now while you're young and free to do so. I completely get where you're coming from regarding the judgments from people...especially in a place like NY. I get it.

I'm happy to see that you're doing great. How are things going with your French ex? I'm rooting for the two of you. :)

Caramelqueen said...

I'm so happy for you! I can imagine the judgments b/c some people are of the mindset that everything has to be GOGOGO all the time in order to "make it". While I'll admit, time is short, it's best spent in things that develop you wholly. A bit of self-reflection seems like the perfect prescription. I look forward to your (prayerfully many =) ) updates. Be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Now that you are back...PLEASE GET WITH B! MARRY THAT BOY!!!
I'm happy to hear that your back in Paris and I can't wait to hear about more of your adventures. Keep living and loving.

Kourt said...

Hi, I just came across your blog through a series of other blogs. I just wanted to say I really love your blog. It gives me more hope to continue to travel and live abroad. So keep up the good work!!

Stacy said...

Thanks all! LOL and an update about B is coming soon actually... :o)

Viajera said...

We are of one mind regarding taking the time and doing whatever to find one's way. Many people wish they had the courage to do so. Most people choose to follow the straight and narrow because they are too afraid to take a deep look at what their heart really wants. I think that you are listening to your heart. Nothing bad about that. I say, fukk the naysayers. You're doing this for YOU.

A_Gallivant said...

Great to see you back in the city you loved. I know the deal about friends, etc. asking when are you going to settle in and get back on track. Enjoy this time and let something emerge out of it that feels right.

Aritul said...

Yay, you're back! Interesting stories to follow I'm sure.

Stacy said...

Thank you so much guys!
And well said Viajera-- I totally agree!

Oneika said...

I am sooooo glad that you are back to blogging!! I have been wondering how you have been!! All I can say is, do yo thang girl!!!! You are so right, your twenties are really a time for exploration... I got to Hong Kong a week ago and it has been a crazy week so we are basically going through the same thing despite a difference in continent, culture, and time zone.... looking forward to reading the rest of your posts!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are a marvelous writer and I am truly inspired by your journey...I am genuinely taken by your prose, your freedom and your candid emotionality.

Carry forth with courage and love!

--Jennifer H.

Stacy said...

Nikita-- thanks girl! Can't wait to hear how things go in Hong Kong!

Jennifer- What a wonderful thing to hear, thank you.