Sunday, August 9, 2009

A date

I stayed at a friend’s place in the 17th last week (a lovely apt in a very posh neighborhood near the Champs Elysees) so this morning I decided to stop by the farmer’s market across the street to restock her fridge and pick up some flowers as a thank you. While I was looking at the flowers, a guy working at one of the stalls came over, plucked a rose out of one of the arrangements and handed it to me. He was cute (Moroccan, around 30-35 years old, medium height/build) but I didn’t really think anything of it. While he was flirting, the florist started laughing as he wrapped my bouquet and said, “You have to be careful while you’re in Paris! We’re French men after all”. Then the florist asked Morocco for 1 Euro for the rose he gave me and he handed it to him saying, "That's no problem, she's worth millions more".

I went over to his stall next to find some fruits and he asked me to sit and chat with him. I was meeting friends for brunch and told him I had to run. And just then, a couple came to purchase something and he had a cute convo—very sweet, friendly, funny (I’m a sucker for funny guys). So when he asked for my number, though I had planned to say no, I gave it to him. Ok, I may be being naive but I figure it couldn’t hurt to go out with the guy once (though I do know that the term "dating" doesn't really exist in French, either you're with someone or you aren't). If I don't feel any sparks he could be an interesting person to know, someone to practice my French with and expand my social circle. Or I won't ever see him again. Anyway, he just called and asked me out for drinks tonight but I declined. So he asked if he could take me to dinner at Lido this Wednesday. I said ok but now I’m having second thoughts.

The dilemma is, will he expect something from me simply because he’s taking me out (Lord knows I can’t afford to drop that kind of money in my unemployed state)? I have heard horror stories about dating in Paris (i.e. men think buying you a drink/dinner buys them a free pass into your pants, they get angry if you simply say thank you at the end of the night, etc) but considering I met B so soon after I arrived, I didn’t really have a chance to experience "French dating". So what to do? Do I let Morocco take me to Lido (wait - is a cabaret too provocative for a first date anyway)? Should I suggest we just go someplace for drinks so I can pay my way (I personally don't believe in paying for the first date but considering that I’m not really interested and don't know dating protocol, maybe that's playing it safe)? Or maybe I’m over thinking this whole thing. After all, its just a date right?

Sigh.

5 comments:

Ksam said...

Um, I think you should go for just drinks first - tickets into lido are like 90€ are person!!

Stacy said...

Its so expensive! Weird that he would suggest that for our first date. Hmm, maybe he WANTS me to feel obliged...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sam - just try some drinks, first. Besides, it's more casual that way and you won't feel as much pressure.

Have fun and live it up! I love reading about your adventures. :o)

The Black Planeteer said...

90€ per person!! Be safe, go with the drinks, and have fun.

Stacy said...

Thanks! Now he's suggesting a regular dinner but I feel like that's too much of a time investment when I don't even know if I like the guy! Will report back ;)